It’s that time of year again, the silly season. December has dawned upon us and we draw close to the end of yet another year.
December can be a tricky time for many, school finishing, work being busy as we try to get it all done by the end of the year, festivities with Christmas parties, catching up with friends and family, the extra spending, perhaps later nights than usual, eating and drinking more.
What we are emphasising with our clients this month is the importance of honouring yourself throughout December. It is easy to get lost in the busyness of December, the fun activities and the social gatherings, but unless we hold our connection with ourselves, continue to listen to our body and honour what it is that we feel, we can easily get affected or exhausted by it all and then we miss the enjoyment of what December has to offer.
Take stock and remember that the choices we make today are going to have a direct impact on how we feel the next day and the next day. True health and wellbeing is being aware of how we are with ourselves all of the time – including December. Don’t drop the ball, just because it’s December. Have fun but without losing your connection to you.
Some tips to take with you throughout December
- Try not to do too much in any given week or weekend. Space out your social gatherings so that you are not having too many late nights.
- Watch and discern what you eat at parties and social gatherings. We can easily overeat at this time of year.
- Drink plenty of water, keep hydrated.
- Socialising is fun, but still give yourself time just for you.
- Don’t try and fit it all in by the end of the year. Nothing is going anywhere and it will all still be there next year.
- Be aware of what momentum you are in, if a raciness or busyness sneaks in, stop, pause and breathe gently. Come back to your body.
- Don’t drop those things that support you such as exercise, Gentle Breath Meditation, a good rhythm with sleep, eating well.
We wish you a joy-filled December and festive season and look forward to catching up with you in 2017. With love, Donna and Alexandra
Alexandra Plane and Donna Nolan offer Yoga/Yoga Therapy, Meditation, Esoteric Healing, Connective Tissue Therapy and Massage at their clinics in Balmain and Cammeray. Contact them for enquiries or bookings.